The Greater Harrisburg, PA area has been served by the Quality Cleaners Award Winning dry cleaning and laundry services for over 55 years. We are a third generation, family owned business operating from the same location since 1958.
A research study done in 2011 by the University of California, Berkeley, showed that most of us make judgments about people within the first 20 seconds of meeting them. What we judge people on is sometimes decided even before they’ve said a word.
Your Harrisburg, PA area home or office can receive our Pickup & Delivery service to save you time and money. Take advantage of this convenient service by clicking here.
What is wet cleaning?
Quality Cleaners is a Harrisburg, PA Area pioneer in the area of ‘wet cleaning’. What is wet cleaning? It’s not just washing. Wet cleaning is a method in garment cleaning, utilizing a gentle washing machine, biodegradable soaps and conditioners specialized for many different fabric and fiber types. The most important aspect of successful wet cleaning is experience and knowledge of different types of fabrics and proper ways to finish garments by operators.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), wet cleaning does not use hazardous chemicals, it does not generate hazardous waste, nor does the process create air pollution. It also reduces the potential for water and soil contamination. The specialized detergents and conditioner used in the wet clean process are more mild than even many home laundry products.
At Quality Cleaners we have found that wet-cleaning, in combination with dry-cleaning, is more efficient and economical to implement than dry-cleaning alone.
How does it work?
The garments are placed in a computerized wet cleaning machine that looks very similar to a washing machine. The clothes are wet by already conditioned water, then agitated just enough to extract the dirt and grime; but not enough to alter the structure, size or color of the garment. The garments are then transferred to a high-tech drying unit that automatically stops once a predetermined level of moisture is reached.
Click HERE for a video about our state-of-the-art shirt pressing process.
Here’s how Harrisburg, PA’s best shirt laundry process works:
- The shirts are brought to our shirt department and given a descriptive ticket and a heat seal.
- A heat seal is a tag adhered by glue and heat. It tells us information about the shirt and makes marking in more efficient.
- The shirts are then separated into light, dark, hand presses, and dry cleaning. This keeps the shirts safe and ready to press. The shirts are also separated into no starch, light starch, medium starch, and heavy starch.
- What is starch? Laundry starch is a vegetable byproduct, most often corn, and added to the shirts as a powder. Starch helps keep the form of the shirt longer. In other words, you’re less likely to develop wrinkles, looking sharp all day. Some say starch feels stiff or rigid, like wearing cardboard. Others feel a shirt is just incomplete without it.
- Shirts are then laundered by a careful balance of 4-6 chemicals to ensure a safe, thorough cleaning and resulting in a neutral pH. The temperature in which the shirts are laundered varies by garment. Typically, it ranges from 65 degrees to 130 degrees. The temperature varies by garment. Typically, hot should be between 120 & 140 degrees, warm 85-105 degrees & cold 65-75. Water below 60 degrees is too cold for detergents to be helpful.
- After laundering, the shirts are taken out of the machine and put in a queue for pressing. Shirts are pressed wet, first on the collar and cuff press, then on the ‘bosom’ press.
- The shirts are then checked for spots, wrinkles, missing buttons, or other unsatisfactory issues. If there are any wrinkles, they are hand pressed on a ‘hot head’ press.
- Once satisfactory, the shirts are scanned to assign them as ‘finished’, bagged, and filed alphabetically.
- Happy customer picks up clean shirts and looks professional and sharp.
FYI, you can sign up for text messages or emails when your order is ready. It’s free and easy.